Brandworkers is seeking a Lead Organizer to support staff organizers and train worker-leaders and staff in new union organizing best practices.
Who we are
Founded in Queens, NY in 2007, Brandworkers is a nonprofit dedicated to supporting local food factory workers with the training, infrastructure, and community to build unions for dignified jobs and power in society. Our vision is a food system where food factory workers set dignified working conditions and democratically operate the industry through direct action, solidarity, and worker-led unions. We partner with the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) union as a way for food factory workers to build their own worker-led-and-operated unions. After over ten years in NYC, Brandworkers has been able to grow to support workers in North Jersey to build power across the metropolitan specialty food manufacturing industry.
What you’ll do
The Lead Organizer will supervise the organizing staff, including a NYC organizer and a new organizing coordinator for North Jersey, will be supervised by the Executive Director and will be responsible for:
- Working with and supporting staff organizers to build unions with food manufacturing workers.
- Training workers and Brandworkers staff in labor organizing best practices, based on your previous experiences in labor.
- Developing strategies to identify new organizing opportunities in NYC’s food manufacturing industry.
- Partner with all staff to build an organizing culture that centers racial and gender justice, celebrates experimentation, and advances the organization’s vision of transformative worker power.
Reach out to us if:
- You’re aligned with Brandworkers’ mission, vision, and values. You want to see workers build power through solidarity unions. You recognize the responsibility to maintain trust with the communities you work with. You are committed to the principles of racial and gender justice. You seek to align your work with these principles.
- You’re experienced with organizing new unions from the ground up. You’ve practiced the fundamentals of workplace organizing. You have overcome challenges in unionizing a new workplace.
- You have a coach and learning mentality. You have led teams in some capacity and helped others grow. You seek feedback on your coaching, training, and problem-solving. You see mistakes as learning opportunities.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish.
What else you should know
At Brandworkers, we’re growing our skills together to make a real change in the U.S. labor movement. We’re also dedicated to making labor movement jobs sustainable. Brandworkers encourages applications from people of color, women, immigrants, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and other oppressed communities.
This full-time role has a starting salary ranging from $58,000 – $64,000. The position will require travel throughout the five boroughs and visits to North Jersey with office space available in our Long Island City, Queens office. Brandworkers provides fully-paid health insurance benefits, as well as a retirement savings match program. We also offer generous vacation and professional development policies, a pre-tax commuter, dependent care, and health savings benefit, cell phone reimbursement, and a sabbatical policy.
How to apply
To apply, please use this form to submit your resume and a cover letter to the Lead Organizer Hiring Committee. Please apply by June 24th, 2022, or earlier if possible. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you.