Since the late 1800s, we have celebrated May Day as a reminder of the power of workers coming together in solidarity. Each year, new efforts arise to suppress workers’ rights, create dangerous workplace conditions and undermine frontline food factory workers.
As we commemorate workers and the history of the labor movement, we wanted to commemorate a few moments from Brandworkers previous quarter and share how you can show up in solidarity with workers during May Day this year:
Donate to Brandworkers’ Annual May Day Campaign! This is our largest grassroots fundraising event of the year. Your individual contributions to the campaign sustain the organizing of NYC food factory workers in their fight for dignified jobs and worker power. Can you make a one-time gift of $100 today? Your gift supports multiple organizing trainings for workers that focuses on building strategy and leadership development to beat the boss campaign!
- Brandworkers is hosting our annual May Day Campaign telethon and Livestream event TODAY from 2:00-4:00pm EST. Follow our instagram, @Brandworkers, and hop on our livestream to support food factory workers! A one-time gift of $50 goes toward providing workers with direct action training and coordination needed to beat the boss campaign. Can you donate today?
- After a thorough search and hiring process, we are excited to welcome our newest NYC Organizer, Cody Eaton, to the Brandworkers team! Cody is an experienced organizer who recently worked with Amazonians United. You can click here to learn more about Cody and read his profile on Brandworkers’ social media.
- Food factory workers have additional campaigning support from Emith Escobar, Isabella Vargas, and new campaign team member, Logan Dolamore. The team continues to build strong external partnerships with other organizations and individual partners to support food factory workers organizing.
- As mentioned in our previous update, worker leaders in underground campaigns advance leadership of the Organizing Committees. Workers continue to meet consistently within their committee and have been laying the groundwork for their campaign, building partnerships with new workers and strengthening Brandworkers’ focus on providing training for workers to lead workplace organizing efforts.
- In another food factory workplace project, organizing apprentices have made considerable headway in their organizing efforts since the end of last year. From apprentices working to build social maps and build out contact lists, this work enabled workers to meet with an external organizer.
- On January 27th, 2022, Brandworkers staff and allies showed up in solidarity and joined our close partner and ally, Street Vendor Project’s (SVP), action to legalize street vending. You can click here to learn more about SVP and the action from that day. Also, give their social media a follow!
Thank you for being a part of the Brandworkers community.
Brandworkers is hiring!
At Brandworkers, we’re growing our skills together to make a real change in the U.S. labor movement. We’re also dedicated to making labor movement jobs sustainable. Brandworkers encourages applications from people of color, women, immigrants, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and other oppressed communities.
Brandworkers provides fully-paid health insurance benefits, as well as a retirement savings match program. We also offer generous vacation and professional development policies, a pre-tax commuter, dependent care, and health savings benefit, cell phone reimbursement, and a sabbatical policy.